School Lunch

After two years of federal support for students to receive universal free school meals, Congress has declined to extend that benefit.

That means that only those families who meet income qualifications and complete the application for free and reduced priced meals will receive meal benefits for the upcoming 2022-2023 school year.

Parent packets will be mailed the week of August 1, 2022 to each district household with a copy of the application for free and reduced priced meals and the updated income eligibility guidelines.  We encourage any family who may qualify to take the time to complete the application and return it to school.

For those families returning to paid meal status, the rates for school meals during the 2022-2023 school year have been set:

Breakfast:  Grades JK-5 - $2.50; Grades 6-12 - $3.00

Lunch: Grades JK-5 - $3.25; Grades 6-12 - $3.75

Lunch 2nds: Grades JK-5 - $1.00; Grades 6-12 - $1.25

Non-Discrimination Statement

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: How to File a Complaint, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

  1. mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

  2. fax: (202) 690-7442; or

  3. email:

 This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

 For more information, contact the SD Department of Education, Child and Adult Nutrition Services at 605-773-3413.