State A Tournament Information
Congratulations to our Groton Area Tigers for qualifying for the State A Basketball Tournament in Rapid City on March 17, 18, and 19.
The Tigers will enter the tournament at the #5 seed and will take on #4 Flandreau in the second game of the first session the tournament at 1:45 PM Mountain Time.
All tickets for the tournaments are general admission and are available for purchase at the tournament site, online at https://themonument.live (additional fees apply), or by calling 1-800-GOTMINE or 605-394-4111. Doors will open approximately one hour prior to the first game in each session.
Adult Session Tickets: $15.00
Student Session Tickets: $10.00
Adult Season Tickets: $50.00
Student Season Tickets: $30.00
State Tournament T Shirts
State A Tournament T-shirts are available for sale. Online orders only must be submitted before 11:55 PM on Sunday, March 13. Orders will be available for pickup from the Groton Area High School office on Wednesday, March 16.
Dress Up Days (School Dress Code Applies)
Thursday: St. Patrick’s Day
Friday: Neon Day - Updated 3/10/22
Saturday: State Shirts/Extreme Black and Gold
There will be a pep rally for the team at 2:55 PM on Tuesday, March 15 at the Groton Area High School Arena.
There will be a welcome home reception for the team at 5:00 PM on Sunday, March 20 at the Groton Area High School Arena.
All state tournaments will be broadcast on South Dakota Public Broadcasting and sdpb.org.
SDHSAA Spectator Rules
The following rules apply to all district, region and state events.
All member schools, conferences, etc. are encouraged to adopt these rules for all regular season contests.
A. Conduct of spectators, coaches and players.
1. There must be sufficient planning, by the tournament manager and by all participating schools which have qualified for the tournament, relative to appropriate crowd control during the duration of the event.
2. All participating schools will be expected to emphasize the necessity for proper crowd behavior. Administrators from member schools are expected to position themselves near their student cheering section whenever their team is playing.
3. Coaches will be expected at all times to display the type of conduct which contributes good sportsmanship and which does not incite the spectators in attendance.
4. Coaches will be expected to impress upon their athletes the importance of displaying good sportsmanship at all times, including players on the court, substitutes sitting on the bench, or following the conclusion of a game.
5. Administrators will be expected to impress upon their coaches the importance of displaying good sportsmanship at all times.
6. All fans will be expected to remain off the playing area until after the awarding of medals and trophies. Failure to remain off the playing floor will result in the offending team not being recognized by the public address announcer. Medals and trophy will be awarded to school personnel following the awards ceremony. Fans will be allowed on the playing area following the presentation of all awards.
B. Equipment and facilities.
1. Removal of the nets following the championship game will be under the direction and supervision of the tournament manager.
2. The breaking of a backboard will become the financial liability of the school whose fan(s) caused the damage.
3. Vandalism to locker room facilities, motel rooms, etc. shall be the responsibility of the member school whose player/team was responsible for the damage.
C. No banners - no signs - no noisemakers
1. Temporary banners and signs of all kinds are prohibited except those displayed by the SDHSAA, the Association’s corporate partners, the tournament band, the arena, the tournament manager, and licensed radio and television stations. Cheer cards displayed by cheerleaders are permissible.
2. All types of noisemakers are prohibited. This includes plastic hand shakers, thunder sticks, as well as all sorts of projectiles.
3. Paper confetti and silly string are prohibited.
4. Balloons are prohibited.
5. Megaphones are prohibited except when used by a cheerleader. 6. Musical instruments are prohibited except when the band is performing.
7. Stereo tape decks and related radio equipment are prohibited during official tournament play. (Host management may provide music that may be played during warm-ups, quarter and half-time breaks, or breaks in the action such as dead balls, etc.)
D. Hoops, mini-tramps and tunnels.
1. The use of “break-through” hoops, mini-tramps, rebounding devices & related pieces of equipment is prohibited.
2. Human tunnels created by student and/or adult fans are prohibited.
E. Pennants, Number 1 Fingers, Homer Hankies, Rooter Poms, etc. will be permitted.
F. Laser Pointers are prohibited. If used, the laser pointers will be permanently confiscated.
G. Re-Entry. As per local venue policy, individuals wishing to leave the venue during a session will receive a hand stamp/accommodation pass for re-admittance to the venue for that session only.
H. Smoking is not allowed inside the venue. As per local venue policy, adult smokers will be given a hand stamp/accommodation pass for re-admittance to the venue for that session only.
I. The management will designate each participating team’s section of the bleachers.
J. Students are asked not to stand on the seats. Students may stand in the foot wells in the student section.
K. Jumping up and down in unison is prohibited.
L. Adult cheerleaders are not permitted in the student cheering sections. However, adults will be permitted to sit in the student section if space allows.
M. Cheerleaders, spirit or yell leaders will be allowed, provided they are so designated by their school and appear in a school approved uniform.
N. All fans must wear shirts. Body paint is not allowed for either students or adults. Face paint is allowed.
O. Face masks are prohibited. (NOTE- Masks to prevent infectious disease are allowed).
P. Gambling and alcoholic beverages are prohibited.
SDHSAA Arena Rules
The following rules and regulation are applicable to all venues hosting SDHSAA State Events:
1. All fans must wear shirts.
2. Face masks are prohibited. (NOTE- Masks to prevent infectious disease are allowed).
3. Fans are not prohibited from wearing face paint.
4. Human tunnels and/or break through hoops are prohibited.
5. Signs, banners, and noisemakers are prohibited.
6. Smoking inside the venue is not allowed. Adults wishing to smoke will be issued an accommodation pass or stamp to exit through a specific door and re-enter through said door.
7. Spectators must remain off the playing floor at all times.
8. No one is allowed to sit, stand or hang on the basket or the basket supports.
9. Students with bleacher tickets must use the facilities on the main floor.
10. The throwing of objects of any kind onto the playing floor in prohibited.
11. Gambling or use of intoxicating beverages is not permitted in the arena. Anyone found indulging in either would be required to leave the building.
12. Laser pointers are prohibited and will be confiscated by meet management.
13. Jumping up and down on the bleachers, in unison, is prohibited.
14. All fans will be expected to remain off the playing floor until after the awarding of medals and trophies. Failure to remain off the playing floor will result in the offending team not being recognized by the public address announcer. Medals and trophy will be awarded to school personnel following the awards ceremony. Fans will be allowed on to the playing floor following the presentation of all awards.