The South Dakota Department of Health is providing guidance and leadership to all South Dakota residents including public school districts regarding the nationwide concerns over the spread of COVID-19 also known as the Coronavirus.
Precautions recommended by the Department of Health to help in avoiding illness include
- Follow CDC’s Travel Health Notices if you are traveling internationally.
- Contact your medical provider if you become ill after international travel.
- Cover your nose and mouth when you cough or sneeze (with a tissue or into your sleeve).
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds (or alcohol-based hand gel with at least 60% alcohol).
- Stay home if you are sick.
These recommendations are drawing new and increased attention with the widespread concern over the Coronavirus but are good advice any time and would be effective against many kinds of illness. We will continue to encourage good hand washing techniques by our students and staff members and ask that students stay home when they’re sick. We currently have a good supply of appropriate disinfecting surface cleaners used by the custodial staff in cleaning and disinfecting commonly touched surfaces. We continue to have hand sanitizer available throughout each building for general use.
We will continue to follow the guidance of the CDC and state and local health officials about preparedness and responsiveness to this public health risk. We appreciate your understanding and support of these guidelines as we all work together to protect our kids and our communities.